Tulsi (Indian basil or holy basil)
Tulsi is sweet, pungent, astringent and heating with a pungent vipaka. It increases pitta, and decreases vata and kapha. It has a refreshing, pleasant smell, so keeping a plant in your house can purify the air. It is good for fever, cough and breathlessness.
Note: The basil we are familiar with in North America has somewhat similar properties but is less potent.
1. For flu, make a tea from 1 teaspoon of basil in 1 cup of water. Boil it for just a minute and drink.
2. For chronic fever, make basil tea with a pinch of black pepper. Drink 2 to 3 times a day.
3. For common cold, cough and sinus congestion, steep 1/4 teaspoon each of basil and dry ginger and half teaspoon of cinnamon in 1 cup of hot water. Take 2 or 3 times a day.
4. For ulcerative colitis, take 1 teaspoon of basil seeds and soak them overnight in a cup of water. Drain and mix the seeds with half cup yogurt. Take this in the morning.
5. For nausea and vomiting, mix 1 teaspoon fresh basil juice with 1 teaspoon of honey and eat twice a day.
Previous Paragraph: AYR220_Vasant-Lad-Textbook-Ayurved-2001-pgxvi-par1
Next Paragraph: AYR220_Vasant-Lad-Textbook-Ayurved-2001-pg001-par2
Return to AYR220 Course Readings
Click here for a list of Buddhist Distance Learning Programs without Ayurveda included.
For affordable donation-only extensive Buddhist Ayurveda Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Distance Learning Program Certification, call Medicine Buddha Healing Center at 510-292-6696.
The non-profit Ayurveda Healing Arts Institute (part of the Medicine Buddha Healing Center) offers affordable yet comprehensive distance learning (online correspondence course with regular phone support) and in-person apprenticeship formats leading to specialized Indian and Tibetan Ayur-Vedic Herbal Certifications and Ayur-Veda Diplomas.
• Taught by highly experienced degreed faculty clinicians and scholars. Our main teacher has served over 5600 patients since 1996, 1900 patients with Dr. Vasant Lad during his formal six-year, 1800 hour clinical apprenticeship.
• MP3 recordings of over 1000 Patient Consultations for Clinical Experience. Searchable database of photographs of tongue diagnosis and iPod - iPhone compatible audio files of our main Berkeley Ayurvedic Practitioner's client visits.
• The Ayurveda Healing Arts Institute is currently the only educational program in the world to offer such an extensive collection of organized Ayurvedic clinical research of patient case studies (over 1500 hours worth of consultation audio recordings).
http://www.youtube.com/user/AyurvedicMedicine - 9 minute Indo-Tibetan Medicine Video Clips – Do please Subscribe to our Ayurved Channel on YouTube!
The Dharma is a Priceless Jewel, thus these research compilations of Ayurveda Dharma and audio and video teaching materials are offered free-of-charge by this anonymous practitioner for the Bodhi Resolve benefit of All Sentient Beings in the Universe under a Creative Commons License.
The rights to textual segments (“quoted, paraphrased, or excerpted”) of the are owned by the author-publisher indicated in the brackets next to each segment and are make available and commented on (under the “shastra tradition”) under Fair Use. For rights regarding the Buddhist Encyclopaedia - Glossary - Dictionary compilation as a whole, please know that it is offered under this Creative Commons License: Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ —-
Ayurveda Dharma is distributed via this GNU Free Documentation License (FDL) and/or under Creative Commons License Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/legalcode. Since words create our reality (see prajna), there are certain words to avoid: Please see also: Words to Avoid